Isonat is a natural fibre insulation material made from hemp and recycled cotton fibres.
These fibres are bound together using a thermoplastic binder. Isonat® is treated with inorganic
salts to provide fire and pest resistance. Isonat® is simple to install, and is non-irritant to touch.
Hemp and recycled cotton fibres.
Isonat® can be used in loft spaces, within walls and under floors. Isonat® has technical, performance and environmental benefits compared to conventional mineral and cellular plastic insulants. It is not however suitable for cavity wall insulation, or under ground floor slabs.
Physical properties of Natilin®:
• Thermal Conductivity 0.039 W/mK
• Fire protection rating Euroclass D equivalent to B2.
• Vapour Diffusion Resistance Factor µ 1 - 2
• Water Vapour Absorption (hygroscopic takeup) Average 10% with increase of relative humidity from 50% to 85%.
Moisture absorption and release:
• Moisture absorption and release:
• Isonat® can absorb and release moisture without degrading and without significant loss of thermal resistivity. This gives it a margin of safety against the formation of interstitial condensation. It is suitable for use in 'breathing' wall construction.
Resistance to passage of sound:
• Isonat® is effective in reducing the transmission if airborne, and also impact sound through the building envelope.
Resistance to fire:
• Isonat® is treated with Boron salts to provide a B2 fire rating.
• Isonat® has greater fire resistance than cellular plastic insulants
Resistance to decay
• In common with wood, hemp fibres are based on cellulose. Therefore, prolonged exposure to water will cause decay
• The Boron treatment prevents attack from rodent's moulds and fungi.
• When properly installed Isonat® will retain its loft and thermal performance for the life of the building
• Isonat® insulation can be cut with an insulation knife, or a stanley knife. No other special tools are required. Use a straight edge and cut onto a board, compressing the insulation, as it is cut. Isonat® tears readily across the length
• Isonat® batts are firmly pressed into place between studs to ensure a snug fit with no gaps.
• Square cut edges of batts should be fitted tightly together without gaps.
Fixing: floors, lofts and ceilings:
• Ensure that insulation is fitted fully between joists/rafters, with no gaps.
• Any odd shaped gaps should be filled with Isonat® offcuts.
• Isonat® should be stored under cover, flat (not on end) and clear of the ground until ready for use.
Health and Safety
• Hemp and recycled cotton fibres are harmless, therefore Isonat® can be installed without gloves or protective clothing. Isonat® is not irritating to the skin, eyes or respiratory system
Isonat® is authorised for use throughout the EU by the French CSTB (Centre Scientifique et
Technique du Batiment), certificate references Avis Technique 20/04-49 and Avis Technique
Isonat® is available in the following specifications (special widths to order)
Product Density (kg/m3) Thickness (mm) Widths (mm) Lengths (MM) Packing Coverage
Batts 30-37 50 400 1,200 12/pack 5.76m²
Batts 30-37 50 600 1,200 12/pack 8.64m²
Batts 30-37 75 400 1,200 8/pack 3.84m²
Batts 30-37 75 600 1,200 8/pack 5.76m²
Batts 30-37 100 400 1,200 6/pack 2.88m²
Batts 30-37 100 600 1,200 6/pack 4.32m²